SOCIODEMOGRAPHIC CORRELATES OF OVERWEIGHT AND OBESITY AMONG ADOLESCENTS
INTRODUCTION – The children and adolescents in developing countries presently suffer from double jeopardy of malnutrition – urban children are afflicted with problems of over nutrition while rural and slum children suffer from effects of under nutrition. Overweight and obesity has become a worldwide phenomenon cutting across regional and economic barriers.
OBJECTIVE – The present study was conducted to determine the prevalence of overweight and obesity among adolescents and its association with their socio demographic factors.
METHODS – The present cross sectional study was conducted in the urban field practice area of LLRM Medical College, Meerut. Out of 10 localities registered in the urban field practice area 872 adolescents were selected using proportional allocation method. House to house survey was done picking all the adolescents in the nearest houses till the required sample of adolescents for that locality was surveyed.
RESULTS – Out of 872 adolescents 17.4 % were overweight and 6.9 % obese. Overweight and obesity was significantly higher among females, in the age group (16-19 years), those belonging to nuclear families and upper and middle socioeconomic status, those who were students and were graduate and above.
CONCLUSION AND RECOMMENDATION– The high prevalence of overweight and obesity in the present study indicate the adolescent obesity as problem of public health importance in the study population. The prevention and control of overweight and obesity in the children and adolescents requires a multidisciplinary approach with a holistic outlook.
Keywords: Adolescent, Sociodemography, Overweight, Obesity
2. Park K. Text book of preventive and social medicine. 24th ed. Jabalpur, Chapter 6, obesity. 2016; 366-70.
3. S Patnaik, L Patnaik, M Hussain, Prevalence of overweight and obesity in a private school of Orissa, India, International Journal Of Epidemiology, Vol 10, Issue 1, 2010, PP: 1-5.
4. Akinlade AR, WAO Afolabi, EB Oguntona, Prevalence of Obesity among adolescents in senior secondary schools in Oyo State, Nigeria, Journal of Nutritional Health and Food Science, Nov 2014, Vol 2, Issue 4, PP 1-5.
5. Rohilla R, Rajput M, Rohilla J, Malik M, Garg D, Verma M, Prevalence and correlates of overweight and obesity among adolescents in an Urban City of North India, Journal of Family Medicine and Primary Care, Vol 3, Issue 4 Oct-Dec 2014, PP: 1-7.
6. Wathakar A, Nigam S, Singh D, Verma P, Barman S.K, Sharma RP, Assessment of risk factors for overweight and obesity among school going children in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, Indian Journal Of Community Health, Vol 27, Issue 2 April- June 2015, PP- 216-222.
7. Barlow SE, the expert committee. Expert committee recommendations regarding the prevention, assessment, treatment of child and adolescent overweight and obesity: summary report. Pediatrics 2007 Dec; 120(suppl): s1 64-92.
8. Ozdemir A, Review Article Adolescent Obesity, International Journal Of Caring Sciences, Vol 8, Issue 2, May-Aug 2015, PP-484-487.
9. Brahmbhatt K, Oza U, Obesity among adolescents of Ahmedabad city, Gujarat, India-a community based cross-sectional study, International Journal of Biological and Medical Research, 2012, Vol 3, Issue 2, 1554-1557.
10. Goyal J, Kumar N, Parmar I, Determinants of overweight and obesity in affluent adolescents in Surat city South Gujarat region, India ,Indian Journal Of Community Medicine ,2011,36(4),296-298.
11. De Onis, A. W. Onyango, E. Borghi, A. Siyam, C. Nishida, and J. Siekmann, “Development of a WHO growth reference for school-aged children and adolescents,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 85, no. 9, pp. 660–667, 2007. View at Publisher · View at Google Scholar · View at Scopus, http://www.who.int/growthref/en/
12. Aggarwal S, Awasthi S, Singh R, Rawat CMS Shukla S, Prevalence of obesity and its correlates in school going adolescents of Haldwani, Nainital, Uttrakhand, India, Indian Journal of Community Health, Vol 28, Issue 2, April – June 2016, PP 163-168.
13. Sain S, Mukhopadhya P, Saha Kanti T, Yasmin S, Chattterji A, Dey I, Adolescent Obesity: its correlates and associated morbidity, Global Journal Of Medicine And Public Health, Vol 2, Issue 6, 2013, PP-1-7.
14. Kar S, Khandelwal B, Fastfoods and physical inactivity are risk factors for obesity and hypertension among adolescent school children in east district of Sikkim, India, Journal of natural science, Biology and Medicine, July 2015, Vol 6, Issue 2, 2015. PP 356-359.
15. Ghosh A, Sarkar D, Pal R, Mukharjee B, Correlates of overweight and obesity among urban adolescents in Bihar, India, Journal of Family Medicine And Primary Care, Vol 4,Issue 1, Jan-Mar 2015, PP: 84-88.
16. Bhargava M, Kandpal S.D, Aggarwal P, Sati H, Overweight and obesity in school children of a Hill State in North India: Is the Dichotomy Urban –Rural or socio economic? Results from a Cross Sectional Survey, Research article, Plos One, May 26, 2016, PP 1-14.