PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCIES IN URBAN INDIA
Public health emergencies in urban India can be caused by natural or man-made disasters. Occurrence of a public health emergency adds to the already stretched health system. This paper looks into the public health emergency conditions in urban India, and our preparedness to tackle them. To address this composite threat to nation’s health and development, a concerted public health response is needed, that can ensure efficient delivery in emergency situations.
2. WHO. The world health report 1991: making a difference [Internet]. [cited 2016 Sep 22]. Available from: http://www.who.int/whr/1999/en/whr99_en.pdf?ua=1
3. India Climate, Climate Map of India and Climatic Regions Map [Internet]. [cited 2017 Sep 10]. Available from: https://www.mapsofindia.com/maps/india/climaticregions.htm
4. Indian’s urban demographic transition ;census 2011 [Internet]. [cited 2017 Sep 10]. Available from: http://moud.gov.in/upload/whatsnew/59144a0d559cdSOP%20Urban%20flooding_5%20May%202017.pdf
5. National Disaster Management Plan May 2016.pdf [Internet]. [cited 2017 Sep 15]. Available from: http://ndma.gov.in/images/policyplan/dmplan/National%20Disaster%20Management%20Plan%20May%202016.pdf
6. Bremer R. Policy Development in Disaster Preparedness and Management: Lessons Learned from the January 2001 Earthquake in Gujarat, India. Prehospital Disaster Med. 2003 Dec;18(4):372–84.
7. Broughton E. The Bhopal disaster and its aftermath: a review. Environ Health. 2005 May 10;4:6.
8. Sharma DC. Bhopal: 20 years on. The Lancet. 2005 Jan 8;365(9454):111–2.
9. Rafiq F. Urban floods in India [Internet]. [cited 2017 Oct 16]. Available from: https://www.ijser.org/researchpaper/Urban-Floods-in-India.pdf
10. Urban Floods - National Disaster Management Authority [Internet]. [cited 2017 Oct 16]. Available from: http://www.ndma.gov.in/en/media-public-awareness/disaster/natural-disaster/urban-floods.html
11. WHO Global Urban Ambient Air Pollution Database Update 2016 [Internet]. [cited 8 Nov 2017]. Available from http://www.who.int/phe/health_topics/outdoorair/databases/cities/en/
12. Check-List for Central Rapid Response Team for Disease Outbreak Investigation Including Avian Influenza [Internet]. 2008 [cited 2017 Oct 10]. Available from: http://www.ncdc.gov.in/checklist.pdf
13. OIE - World Organisation for Animal Health 2016. [cited 2017 Aug 25]. Available from: http://www.oie.int/en/animal-health-in-the-world/update-on-avian-influenza/2016/
14.Zika Virus [Internet]. CDC. 2014 [cited 2017 Aug 25]. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/zika/index.html
15. Bloch ARP and EM. A Literature Review of Zika Virus - Volume 22, Number 7—July 2016 - Emerging Infectious Disease journal - CDC. [cited 2017 Sep 9]; Available from: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/22/7/15-1990_article
16. Palaniyandi M. The environmental aspects of dengue and chikungunya outbreaks in India: GIS for epidemic control. Int J Mosq Res. 2014;1(2):38–44.
17. Yokohama Strategy and Plan of Action for a Safer World: guidelines for natural disaster prevention, preparedness and mitigation. [cited 2017 Sep 24]. Available from https://www.unisdr.org/we/inform/publications/8241
18. Aitsi-Selmi A, Egawa S, Sasaki H, Wannous C, Murray V. The Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction: Renewing the Global Commitment to People’s Resilience, Health, and Well-being. Int J Disaster Risk Sci. 2015 Jun 1;6(2):164–76.
19. India puts Sendai Framework into operation - UNISDR [Internet]. [cited 2017 Sep 24]. Available from: https://www.unisdr.org/archive/49068
20. Patro. Epidemic diseases act 1897, India: Whether sufficient to address the current challenges? [Internet]. Available from: http://www.jmgims.co.in/article.asp?issn=0971-9903;year=2013;volume=18;issue=2;spage=109;epage=111;aulast=Patro
21. Madan A, Routray JK. Institutional framework for preparedness and response of disaster management institutions from national to local level in India with focus on Delhi. Int J Disaster Risk Reduct. 2015 Dec 1;14:545–55.
22. Thota D, George CK. Quality emergency medical care in India: challenges & opportunities. The Institute of Health Systems; 2005. [cited 2017 Oct 10] Available from https://www.ihs.org.in/Publications/wp60.pdf.