Prevalence and Correlates of overweight and obesity among school children in guwahati city, assam
Background: Childhood obesity is one of the most serious public health challenges of the 21st century. Obese children are at increased risk for heart disease, diabetes, stroke, cancer and osteoarthritis. Objective: To study the prevalence of overweight and obesity & its correlates among school children of Guwahati city. Materials and Method: School based cross sectional study was done among the students of 8th to 10th standard of Guwahati city, Assam. 465 school children were selected by multistage simple random sampling. Data was collected using a pre-designed, semi-structured questionnaire. Results: Prevalence of overweight and obesity was found to be 5.4 % & 2.8 %.and it was significantly more among those who were Non-vegetarian, whose breakfast habit were irregular, don’t consume fruits,
consume fast food daily , junk food daily , carbonated drinks daily, dont play outdoor games and use vehicles as mode of transport to school. Conclusion: Prevalence of overweight and obesity was found to be more among students having modifiable risk factors.
2. WHO | BMI-for-age (5-19 years) [cited 12/10/2011 2011]. Available fromhttp://www.who.int/growthref/who2007_bmi_for_age/en/index.html (accessed 12/10/2011).
4. De Onis M, Blössner M.Prevalence and trends of overweight among preschool children indeveloping countries. Am J Clin Nutr 2000; 72:1032-9
5. Nagaraj S, Bettapa P, Prakash B, Kaverappa V, Rani U, Ashok NC. Prevalence and determinants of overweight and obesity among school-going adolescents in Mysuru district, southern India. Int J Med Sci Public Health 2015;4:1182-1186
6. Goyal JP, Kumar N, Parmar I, Shah VB, Patel B. Determinants of overweight and obesity in affluent adolescent in Surat city, South Gujarat region, India. India J Community Med 2011; 36(4):296–300.
7. Ramesh K. Body weight/image perceptions and prevalence of obesity among adolescents-Kerala, India. Int J Health Allied Sci2012; 1:92-7.
8. Vohra R, Bhardwaj P, Srivastava JP, Srivastava S, Vohra A. Overweight and obesity among school going children of Lucknow city. J Family Community Med. 2011 May;18(2):59-62. doi: 10.4103/2230-8229.83369. PubMed PMID: 21897912; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3159229
9. Bharati DR, Deshmukh PR, Garg BS. Correlates of overweight and obesity among school going children of Wardha city, Central India. Indian J Med Res. 2008;127:539–43
10. Kotian MS, Kumar SG, Kotian SS. Prevalence and determinants of overweight and obesity among adolescent school children of South Karnataka, India. Indian J Community Med 2010; 35:176-8.
11. Kumar PA, Faisal GD. Prevalence and determinants of overweight and obesity among affluent adolescents in Vijayawada city, Andhra Pradesh, India. Int J Med Sci Public Health. 2015; 4(3): 408-413 doi: 10.5455/ijmsph.2015.0411201484
12. Aggarwal T, Bhatia RC, Singh D, Sobti PC. Prevalence of obesity and overweight in affluent adolescents from Ludhiana, Punjab. Indian Pediatr. 2008;45:500–01
13. Rohilla R, Rajput M, Rohilla J, Malik M, Garg D, Verma M. Prevalence and correlates of overweight/obesity among adolescents in an Urban City of North India. J Family Med Prim Care 2014;3:404-8
14. Namdev G, Mishra MK, Saxena DK, Likhar SK. Socio-demographic Determinants of Overweight and Obesity among School Children in an Urban city of Central India . Natl J Community Med. 2015; 6(1):45-9.
15. Tiwari HC, Dwivedi S, Bali S, Parveen K. Overweight & obesity and it’s correlates among school going adolescents of district allahabad- a cross sectional study. Indian J. Prev. Soc. Med 2014; 45(1-2):77-82.
16. Watharkar A, Nigam S, Martolia DS, Varma P, Barman SK, Sharma RP. Assessment of risk factors for overweight and obesity among school going children in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh. Indian J Comm Health. 2015; 27, 2: 216 - 222.
17. Banjade Bijendra, Naik Vijaya A, Narasannavar Ashwini: Prevalence of obesity and its risk factors among Pre-University college adolescents of Belgaum city. J of Dental and Med Sciences, 2014; vol. 13 (4):56-60.
18. Arora M, Nazar GP, Gupta VK, Perry CL, Reddy KS, Stigler MH. Association of breakfast intake with obesity, dietary and physical activity behavior among urban school-aged adolescents in Delhi, India: results of a cross-sectional study. BMC Public Health. 2012 Oct 17; 12:881. doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-12-881. PubMed PMID: 23075030; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3549919.
19. Jain G., Bharadwaj S.K, Joglekar A. R.: To study the prevalence of overweight and obesity among school children(13-17yrs) in relation to their socioeconomic status and Eating habits. Int Jof Scientific and Res Pub., 2012; Vol. 2(6):1-4.
20. Goyal RK, Shah VN, Saboo BD, Phatak SR, Shah NN, Gohel MC, Raval PB, Patel SS. Prevalence of overweight and obesity in Indian adolescent school going children: its relationship with socioeconomic status and associated lifestyle factors. J Assoc Physicians India. 2010 Mar; 58:151-8. PubMed PMID: 20848812.
21. Tharkar S, Viswanathan V. Impact of socioeconomic status on prevalence of overweight and obesity among children and adolescents in Urban India. Open Obes J 2009;1:9-14
22. Anuradha RK, Sathyavathi RB, Reddy M, Hemalatha R, Sudhakar G, Geetha P and Reddy KK. Effect of social and environmental determinants on overweight and obesity prevalence among adolescent schoolchildren. Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 2015 Mar-Apr; 19(2): 283–287. doi: 10.4103/2230-8210.131765 PMCID: PMC4319271